Tip 1. Remember the 30/70 rule. The builder makes 30% of the boat and buys the remaining 70% from other suppliers. Almost all of this 70% must be replaced periodically at increasingly higher prices. This explains the devaluation of a boat by about 50% after the first decade.
Tip 2. Maximum attention to the purchase price, to which must be added the cost of the inevitable overhaul and possible refit. An effective rule is to allocate 50/60% of the available budget for the purchase and the remaining 40/50% to be used over time for updates and changes. Don’t forget to calculate the annual maintenance budget. In order not to take the step longer than the leg. Nobody likes a boat stuck on the ground.
Tip 3. Don’t be fooled by the list of equipment and gadgets that almost all used boats have. Most will need to be replaced, either immediately or over time. An extra gadget doesn’t make the boat sail better. If they tell you that the boat has been “refitted” recently, be skeptical and double check. Sails, for example, have you ever seen a used boat with really new sails, which cost a lot of money?
Tip 4. The highest replacement and maintenance costs are likely to be related to the rig and engine. After 10/15 years, the condition of the mast and turnbuckles must be checked, the blocks and the box inspected, the box and the bolts fixing the bulb to the hull are checked. In addition, the rigging must be subjected to a thorough inspection (after 30 / 35,000 miles it should be replaced).